Collect Essential Skills and Key Communication Arts
Not All Truths Are Powerful
March 17, 2023
What does it mean to be bold?
Not that dictionary definition of boldness. I’m talking about that quality of leadership many want but few find. That thing most can’t put their finger on. That charismatic gravity. That original thought.
What is THAT and how do you get it?
I’ve not completely reverse-engineered it yet. But I have cracked open some interesting finds.
In part, it’s speaking Truth with a capital “T” regardless of its popularity.
First, speak about universally true principles. Then, connect the dots to practical application and people won’t be able to help but follow you.
Now, the mark of the inexperienced is to confuse saying true things with speaking Truth. “To be BOLD I must tell the truth! And only the truth will do!”
Someone might have a bad haircut, and it would be telling the truth to say so, but that’s not the kind of truth I’m talking about. Not all truths are powerful.
So how do you know if you’re saying true things versus speaking Truth?
This is my Truth checklist:
- Is it true?
- Is it important?
- Is it meaningful?
- Can this truth change the course of your life?
Found a Truth that checks the list? Careful. They’ve killed a lot of people over the years for saying these kinds of things.
- If you’re saying something powerful not everyone will be moved in the same direction. Which means, if it actually matters, you’re going to get some hate.
- “The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.” – Niels Bohr. Which means if you’re right, then your staunchest opponent might also be right.
This is why knowing Truth is only an aspect of boldness.
Sure, you might know a truth, but are you willing to say it out loud?
– Zac Smith, VC
The Wizard Academy Weekly Newsletter
Practical tips, lessons, and inspiration for your growing business. Delivered every Friday Evening.
Get it in your inbox:
Sign up for the newsletter and get a free account with access to the Free Members’ Content Library. For Free. (Did we say free enough?)
Find your North Star
among a tribe of like-minded entrepreneurs.
- We believe traditional wisdom is often more tradition than wisdom.
- We believe wine before 10:00 am is just purple coffee.
- We believe history repeats itself only because we didn’t pay attention the first time.
- We believe intuition is the logic of the wordless, right hemisphere of the brain.
- We believe passion is a by-product of commitment.
A business school called Wizard Academy?
What’s with the name?
And who could actually take this seriously?